Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Genealogy as a Field of History

Since just before my son was born in October 2007, I have been researching the genealogy of our family. It has been quite interesting to uncover the stories of family members and I enjoy looking through all the records to find just the piece of the puzzle I am missing. Through it all, our family tree has grown to include almost 600 people and it can be traced back to Germany, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, and Switzerland. One of our relatives was born of Irish parents in the Congo in the middle of Africa. Our tree currently traces back to the late 1500s / early 1600s.

What surprises me about the field of genealogy is that it is not more prominently advanced by historians. Genealogy may center on family heritage and tradition, but much can be learned from the field. Genealogical research is not just about filling in the missing links between generations. It shows migratory patterns, includes personal accounts of historical events and utilizes masses of public records including censuses, military records, land deeds & titles, and cemetery records. One can learn a great deal about history just from researching their family lineage.

To become a professional genealogist, one must pass rigorous exams given by the certifying institution and prove the ability to accurately research a family lineage. Yet, one must undertake a study of genealogy on their own. Not a single major university or college offers course work to prepare for a career as a genealogist. I find this truly amazing and I would advocate the need for a more formalized program at the postgraduate level. Maybe after I earn my PhD and begin teaching at a university, I will be able to help establish a formal program somewhere. Until then, genealogists will just have to rely on their own research abilities and forge a community amongst themselves.

No comments: